Sunday, January 6, 2008

Post holiday mix

Well, we're back from the holidays.
Here are a few random thoughts:
The Reds dealt center fielder Josh Hamilton away for the Rangers minor league pitcher of the year, Edinson Volquez. If Volquez steps in and becomes the No. 3 or No. 4 starter this season, it's a good deal.
The Lima Locos are moving from Shawnee to Simmons Field. Simmons will need work, but if that work is done, it could be a good move in the long run. I'll get into this more in future blogs.
Boys basketball is having another sluggish year in our area. There are a few good teams out there like Shawnee, Ada and New Knoxville. I saw the class of the Putnam County League Saturday when Pandora-Gilboa bumped off Ottoville on a buzzer shot by Sam Maag. P-G's Josh Lee, a 6-foot-4 sophomore, has come a long way in the last year. P-G was outplayed for three quarters, but still came out with the win.
Strolling the mall over the holidays, I saw plenty of Ohio State jackets, jerseys, etc. You will see who the true OSU fans are if the Bucks lose to LSU Monday and these people are still wearing their jerseys on Tuesday.
By the way, I'm starting to see some Celtics' jerseys again. I haven't seen those since Larry Bird retired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well its tuesday and not one person i work with that was wearing buckeye gear on monday had anything osu on today...BUT, my friend Gary S from convoy,ohio was still proudly wearing his buckeye gear today..That is a true fan, and even though i don't like the bucks i respect them and their true fans..Hey Shotsy

Tom Usher said...

I didnt see one person at the Y with OSU gear today. But Im sure Ill see some later this week. There are a few die-hard OSU fans who will remain loyal and I applaud them for that. And, of course, I heard the Tressel bashers, today, too. One person told me OSU needs to FIRE Tressel. Here's my response to that: Get a clue.